Tuesday, July 3, 2007

"This is so much more stressful than biking!"


I golfed with Andrew and a friend Sunday afternoon. Thought it's the least I could do, since I've been pre-occupied with biking. I've also flaked on a couple of his golf dates, so I knew it was high time I got my swing on.

Golfing used to be mine and Andrew's "thing." There was a time when we'd get out there together on the course at least once a month. Up at the crack of dawn, loading up the car with all our gear, and riding the golf cart in the cool, crisp air, untouched dew still on the fairways. I love that he loves my getting out there with him.

What I don't love is how exasperating golf can be! (Now, I didn't say Andrew's exasperating, I said GOLF is.) Head down, light grip, knees bent, coil at the waist, pull back, nice easy swing, follow through ... oh my gosh ... I actually gave up golf for a year, because I was so frustrated with my lack of progress. I picked it up again vowing not to keep score.

I have a nice swing, I've been told, and I do hit an occasional "nice shot" every now and then. What gets me is that there isn't that noticeable and consistent improvement like there is with biking. I used to only be able to bike 2 miles. The week after that, I biked 4. Then after that I did 8. Now I'm up to 47.5 miles! There isn't that consistent sense of improving with golf; at least for me there isn't. And then there's those three other people standing there watching you swing and following your ball, whever it decides to go (usually in the rough).

What I try and remember is that for Andrew - it's not a matter of how well I do or don't do. It's just the two of us getting out there and doing something together that he enjoys.

As Andrew would say, "Hey - at least the ball's moving forward!"

No comments: