Friday, July 20, 2007

Doctor's Orders


Had my post-surgery follow up with my surgeon this morning. Wires were removed and replaced with rubber bands to aid in the positioning of my bite. I was also instructed to not lift anything heavier than a grocery bag, to eat only soft foods (meaning anything not requiring a knife to cut), and to exaggerate my facial expressions which helps to strengthen the muscles and nerves that were traumatized. Lots of laughing and kissing was also prescribed (kissing limited to my husband of course)!

To my surprise, doctor's orders also include the practice of opening and closing my mouth as wide as I can while the rubber bands are on. At first, I was anxious about that (which the surgeons noticed), but they reassured me it would not cause any damage to the jaw bones which have not yet fused together. They said opening and closing my mouth is safe, whereas trying to bite down too hard on food or another traumatic blow is not.

So that's my workout regime for now: lifting grocery bags, making goofy faces, opening and closing my mouth, laughing alot, and kissing Andrew :-) Another follow up appointment in two weeks and no riding for at least another four.

I did lose 8 lbs (which makes me lighter on the bike). I just have to be careful that my soft-food diet isn't limited to tapioca pudding, soft-serve ice cream, and the like ;-)

No comments: