Friday, November 30, 2007

Countdown


We rode Dry Creek this morning (Friday). I hadn't been anywhere near that area since July 5th, so approaching the Redwood Exit, I started getting nervous. But the nervousness quickly subsided as I geared up in the chilly, morning air that I love. We only did a portion of the route, but I felt good, felt strong. I plan on doing the whole thing sometime soon.

Before going home, we drove up the backside of Mt. Veeder. It's as steep, narrow, and curvy as I remember. Around every other turn, I'd ask, "Is that it?" And then we finally passed it. We continued up to the area where I started my 36.6 mph descent on that fateful July morning and then back down to the accident site where we stopped for a bit. As I stood at the ditch, i thought, " ... oh, we're in front of Mt. Veeder Winery ... what a pretty sign ... i thought the ditch was wider than that ... " I turned around, looked up at the hill that I'd mismanaged, and tried to imagine myself coming out of the last two turns, the path I probably followed, the trajectory I most likely took, and then turned to the spot where I most likely landed. I just stood there awhile. Valle vs. Veeder. It seemed surreal.

But the hill hasn't won. The game isn't over. I'll be back for a rematch ~ December 15th. Wanna come?

No comments: