Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Body Knows

I guess I was pretty exhausted last week. Monday night, I fell asleep at 8 pm and didn't get up till 7 the next morning. I took it easy in the middle of the week. But then last night, I crashed out early again with a horrible headache. I'm not normally a napper, so I guess my body just wanted some much needed rest.

Now that I'm working again, I'm having trouble keeping to an eating and drinking schedule, like I used to when I was training. It's very easy for me to get caught up in projects, and by the time I know it - it's 2 in the afternoon! I'm not doing a very good job at remembering to take my meds either. There's just so much to keep track of and do that it really does get kinda irritating after awhile. There were the twice daily, occupational therapy exercises with the clay ball and elastic band that I've just totally omitted from my regime. There's the cheek muscle stretching thing I'm supposed to do morning and evening. And then the meds - five different pills (some horse-pills in size), oh and not to mention the morning protein shake with which I'm supposed to start the day! Thank goodness the doctors' appointments have dwindled down. I know - I seem like an organized person ... and in most other cases, I really am. It's just gotten a bit much for me. I can't imagine what those going through chemotherapy and radiation treatments have to go thru. (I can hear you cancer survivors going, "Ya, that's nothin!)

Me -I'm not fighting for my life. I fell. I got an owie (a big one). And I'm recovering. I know that. But I can't tell you how emotional this journey has been and still is for me. The questions, the frustration, the thankfulness, the disappointments, the gratitude, the guilt, the exhaustion, the bursts of energy, and then the exhaustion again.

I can't even begin to imagine the ups and downs of those battling with cancer, fighting for their lives. So please, if you remember, continue to pray for me, and continue to pray for those whose lives have been forever affected with cancer. The road is so much longer than we think ... I just thank God we never have to walk the road alone. Thanks to those of you who've been there.

No comments: