Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How Much Ya Wanna Bet?

I hadn't ridden since the Vacaville ride (almost 2 weeks ago); and since I've had the past couple days off, I knew I really should get out there and hit the pavement. I mean, hop on my bike ;-)

I almost did Sunday afternoon, after the Easter festivities, but I decided to hit the couch instead. So I woke up this morning ... not that I've been asleep since Sunday ... I got up this morning and debated with myself for 2 hours about riding. I finally left my house at 10:45 AM. Up Lopes, cross Lake Herman, and a right onto the incline of Rose Drive which I'd take all the way to Columbus Parkway and back.

The last time I did Rose Drive was prior to my accident. I had done it a couple times, but both times I clearly recall stopping several times either to catch my breath or because of the burn in my legs. This time however, from East 2nd towards Columbus at least, I did pretty good. I may have been going slow, but I didn't have to stop at all! I'd never ridden Rose in this direction, so I figured it just isn't as steep on this side.

At the bottom of Rose, I had to compose myself for the ride back up and home. I knew it was going to be tougher. I think I stopped too long, as I almost chickened out thinking maybe someone could pick me up. Instead, I quickly chomped on some sport beans, downed some gatorade, and started pedaling. It was definitely harder.

At one point, I thought to pull off to the side for a breather, but two guys got out of their truck. "I can't stop in front of them," I thought to myself. "Let me just pass them, and I'll stop in a little bit. I'll give them time to get into the house." And then it occurred to me .... It's kinda funny the things that run through my mind to keep me going ....

What if they're standing at the truck taking bets ~ "I betcha $20 bucks she doesn't make it up that hill!"

And that was enough motivation for me to keep pedaling ... all the way home :-)

No comments: