Sunday, March 23, 2008

Dare I?

The day after the Vacaville ride, we received an email from Coop, our head coach. He told us we've completed more than half of Lake Tahoe in miles and getting close to half of the ascent. He told us we would continue to improve as the next couple months go by. He also suggested "instead of logging major mileage each day rather, work on using the time on the bike in a quality way by climbing hills." His email went on to name about 10 different hills in various areas ~ one of which was Mt. Veeder. Hmmm ... dare I try it again, I thought, or do I leave well enough alone?

Cooper ended his email by encouraging us to get out and ride today... "Your legs may not feel so good in the first 10-15 minutes but after about 20 they'll thank you for it!" So I did. And he was right. I almost turned around at our corner mini-mart (smile), but I told myself to just get past the first 15 minutes.

After awhile, I was flyin'. I only average about 12 mph, but after getting warmed up, I felt very little tension in my legs, and I felt like I was going faster than usual. I glanced down at my computer and it read 15 mph, then 17. "What the heck?" I thought to myself. Did I really improve that much because of yesterday's ride? I got to Lake Herman in 30 minutes! I've never checked my time at this turn-around spot, but I do know it normally takes me 1:20 for the round trip, so I know I've made good time.

BUT - as soon as I turned around to head back, I was greeted with the strongest head-wind I've ever had to ride through yet. "That explains it!" And I laughed at myself all the way home.

My time when I got home ... one hour and 20 minutes :-)

No comments: