Monday, June 25, 2007

32 Miles in Sonoma Sans Jean


Up at 5:30 am for a 7:30 am roll time. Why so early? So I can eat a good breakfast, so I can check and double check to make sure I have all my gear, in case there's traffic, so we can gear up once we get there without rushing, and so we don't hold anybody else up. The key is to relax and enjoy the experience ... not stress out over things, right!?! And for me, that means allowing myself ample time to get ready to roll. Also, because I feel like a little kid getting ready to go to Disneyland on ride days.

I was a little nervous, however, Saturday morning, as this would be my first team ride without Jean, my personal cycling mentor, coach, and friend. Though I've done several solo rides, this was my first team ride without her. Our commutes to the meeting spot is always a confidence-building time for me - she tells me what I should expect from her past experience on that particular ride - things like terrain, weather, and traffic conditions on certain parts of the route. Riding behind her, I remember to drink when she drinks and to stretch when she stretches, stuff like that. It's just reassuring to me knowing she's there.

Well, I was reassured a bit earlier in the week when I received an email from her before she went out of town. Here's what she said, "Hot day; towards the end of the ride there is a lot of riding out in the open sun & concrete, so make sure that you're drinking often; on the climb - slow and steady, remember it's not a race up the hill; descent - very fast - I was cruising at about 32 mph! The best part of the ride! Make sure that you drink often."

I was met and encouraged by the wonderful coaches and mentors. Jean called me for a pep-talk just before we rolled. And either the terrain of this route was easier than Napa, or I had a really strong ride. Going up Sonoma Mountain Road was tough. I had to stop about 4 times to catch my breath, but as one of the coaches put it, "If everyone could climb to the top without stopping, there would be no need for a 3-4 month training program!"


Sonoma is beautiful. I was reminded to soak up the sights when i had to stop on the hill, which was a good distraction from my belabored breathing. I finished strong, which felt good.

What felt even better was hearing from several Honorees at the All Team Potluck after the ride. The Marathoners, Tri-athletes, and Cyclists (all the Summer TNT Teams) were there to support each other and to be reminded of why we are participating in our endurance events. Some Honorees are doing well, some are facing tough days of treatment, many are still waiting for a cure. A reminder that the money we're raising is not just so we can ride, but because we're saving lives one mile at a time.

What was especially meaningful was that Andrew and my girls came out to meet me for the All Team Potluck. While I know I have their support in this challenge of mine, it's important to me that my girls understand and see how one person can make difference ... to so many and in many different ways.

No comments: