Monday, June 18, 2007

For My Exodus


Our cycling team trains every other Saturday. On the off Saturdays, there is an informal "Buddy Ride," they call it. No training; just a group ride to get some mileage in. This past Saturday I missed a 30 mile buddy ride - a renowned ride that "no Bay Area cyclist would want to miss," as Coach Kelly described it. They started near Mike's Bikes in Sausalito along the bike path and ventured toward Mill Valley, over to Larkspur, Corte Madera and around Paradise Loop to the most majestic views in Tiburon. And I couldn't make it.

Bummer. But I was at a very important event for my grandson, Exodus - YES I HAVE A GRANDSON - so missing the ride was worth it. I'll make it over there and do that route sometime.

However, today - I did my own "make up ride" to make up for the 30 miles I missed on Saturday, for My Exodus :-)

My Cordelia - Lake Herman Route is only 8.5 miles, so I figured I'd just keep riding out onto E. 2nd Street till I hit 15 miles, then head back. Well I made it all the way to Benicia State Park. I didn't want to tackle Rose Drive yet (very tough hills), so I called my old co-workers to see if they wanted to have lunch. That way, I could rest and refuel before heading back home :-) I rode another 4 more relatively flat miles from the State Park to the office on Tennessee Street.

That was 19.5 miles in 1 hour and 45 minutes.

After about an hour lunch break and catching up with old friends, I headed back. I was tempted to have someone just drive me home, but I felt like I was cheating or something. So I headed towards the dreaded Rose Drive. I had to stop 4 times to catch my breath. And it had heated up quite a bit. The last 8 miles were rough. My feet were burning up, and I started to get achy.

I made it home in 1 hour and 45 minutes. Total mileage ... 37.5 miles!

Funny thing is, I fell in front of my garage. Ack!

I didn't slow down before riding into my driveway. Fearing I'd crash into my garage door, I stopped really quick ... and didn't clip out in time, because my legs felt all wobbly. So I fell over and scraped my right knee.

Of all places to fall - - - at the finish!
How goofy is that!

No comments: