Monday, July 21, 2008

STP FINISHER, PART 2

Day 2 : 92 Miles

I slept well and was cautiously optimistic for the day at hand.  "Only 92 today.  That's less than yesterday," I kept telling myself.  "You're gonna do this."  It was 5:15 am.

We drove to the church where the team camped.  It was cold.  It was quite.  But people were already up and about, getting ready, breaking down their tents, and gearing up for the ride.  There were a few hard core groups who were already out on the course, but Michelle and I didn't roll out till 6:45 am.

Knowing I had a rough ending the day before, Michelle briefed me that we'd be eating every 10 miles, and that I should drink even more frequently with the unusually warm Seattle/Portland weather.  This should help to keep my energy up for the duration of the ride.  She also reminded me to stay mentally strong; not to let down until we were done.

Today's course would be mostly rollers, a terrain I much prefer over yesterday's flats (though there were a couple spots that definitely got the thighs burning).  Flats to me are boring.  With rollers, there's at least some variety in your exertion:  you work your way up a hill, build momentum in the descent, which carries you part of the way up the next incline.  It's lots of fun.

Michelle and I were making good time ~ quickly in and out of only the rest stops that were absolutely necessary.  I did have my gears checked at mile 51, but I think the problem was more my left pinky and ring finger which were becoming increasingly fatigued.  But we made it to the lunch stop (mile 63) just after noon.  Michelle's parents were there with a cooler full of much needed ice-cold water bottles. We drank some and we poured some on us.  It was hot and only getting hotter.

29 miles left.  

Michelle and I agreed that we both felt really good, and that we'd try to finish without stopping, unless we absolutely had to.  And so the count down began ... 28 - 27 - 26 - 25 - 24 ... but the temperature was definitely increasing.

Approaching mile 77, I saw a mini-stop.  I was pulling, so I told Michelle I was turning in for a bathroom break and some water.  Michelle stood in the concession line for our water, while I stood in line for the porto-potties.  I was hot, and I was mad that we had to stop again.  After taking care of my business, we stood in the shade and ate.  I downed my water bottle and forced myself to eat my smashed up PB&J .. not because I was hungry, but because I knew I'd needed to "stoke the energy fire."

I don't think Michelle knew what was going on with me.  She was quietly standing in the shade with me, doing her thing, just waiting for my cue that I was ready to roll.  She didn't know that the heat was getting to me.  She also didn't know that I was getting mad at the heat and refused to let it get me any further.  I bought 3 more cold water bottles:  I guzzled one bottle.  I put the other bottle in my back jersey pocket.  And I carried the last bottle, opened, in my sports bra.  (Sorry if that's too much info for you.)  

I knew I had enough food and power drink to keep me energized for the duration of the ride. What I wanted to do was to make sure I had enough water to cool me off so that we wouldn't have to stop again.  I was determined to finish strong.

So we got back in the saddle and took off.  15 - 14 - 13 - 12 ... and the count down was energizing me. Unlike yesterday when I was thinking, "I still have 10 miles to go.  I still have 9 miles to go,"  today I was thinking, "Only have 10 more, only 9 more, only 8 more."  And we rolled into the finish at 3:05 pm!

No comments: