Friday, December 7, 2007

Well Shut My Mouth

Well the weather's cleared up, and while I want to ride, I don't have the energy. Did I mention the bracket on my lower right molar came off just before Thanksgiving? I had been wearing these moose bands in an upside down V to help with the last bit of positioning for my jaw. The bands are so tight, I guess it just pulled the bracket off. It didn't hurt. It just wasn't adhered to my tooth, so it would slide on the wire.

Good news is, I didn't have to wear the uncomfortable bands during Thanksgiving! Bad news is, they just fixed the bracket on Wednesday. In fact, they repositioned 3 other brackets while they were in there. So for the past couple days, my teeth have been hurting somethin' awful. To add to that, I started wearing the moose bands again last night :-( They are so tight I can't open my mouth. And ... I have to wear them as often as I can, except for when I'm eating.

Hmmm ~ does that mean I should eat all the time?!

My orthodontist said with the continued use of the stronger rubber bands, my bite should come along really well. In January, I'll have some special x-rays taken where they'll be able to identify the bone density at the breaks and where I lost my teeth. The braces will come off shortly after that, and they'll fashion me a retainer with prosthetic teeth. My surgeon and my dentist will then coordinate bone grafting and the dental implant process ... a process that'll take at least a year. I can't wait to have my own teeth again!

Funny story - last month, a friend of mine came with me to my ortho appointment. I always ask to brush my teeth when they remove the wires, so I can get in a really good, unobstructed brushing. While walking to the restroom, I briefly stopped just in front of my friend and smiled really big :-) She was on her cell phone, but her eyes got really big! She thought I'd had my implants awhile ago!

No comments: