Saturday, December 15, 2007

My Nemesis?

"What the heck?" is all I can say.

We headed to Napa this morning. I was so excited I could hardly stand it! It was freezing, but I didn't care. About 3 miles up Dry Creek, I was getting nervous, really nervous, so my breathing was off. I got winded and had to stop ... a couple times to be exact. With my friend in front of me and my brother behind me, I also felt totally self conscious. I know they want to make sure I didn't crash again ... but hey, so do I, so of course I'm gonna be more careful. I finally told them, "Don't follow me; you're making me nervous!" We also decided to forget Veeder at the moment, I would calm down, and just see how I felt at the top of Dry Creek.

I slowed down and calmed down and finally got my rhythm down. I was feeling good, feeling strong. On the last incline, I'd decided I wanted to go ahead and give Veeder a try. I was gonna tell the guys when we got the stop sign at the top of the hill, but then the freakiest thing happened. Just as I was slowing down to stop, I noticed my right foot felt wobbly. I called out to the guys, "I think my pedal just came off!" Sure enough, the threads stripped a bit; my pedal, still attached to my shoe, separated from the crank. My ride would be over for the day.

No comments: