Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ride Just to Ride?

Went out for a 10 mile ride today. Read a couple good cycling articles about recovering from an injury, so I tried not to think about performance - ride just to ride.

Ventured out of my neighborhood and headed 5 miles towards Lake Herman and back.

8 AM - the sun was out, but the wind was blowing. I turn around just at the end of my driveway to put the warmers on. Good thing I did, too.

Tried not to think about speed, cadence, or how much training I have do. Breath and pedal - that's all I thought about, the legs and lungs needing to get acclimated to my increased activity. The neck and chin have been pretty good. No muscles spasms.

But my thoughts wandered to a single mom of 3 children whom I met a couple weeks ago. (Our daughters go to school together.) Her husband passed away in July 2006. He seemed strong and healthy, but was involved in a car accident. During his hospital stay, he was diagnosed with Leukemia and needed a bone marrow transplant right away. Thankfully, there were able to find not just one bone marrow match, but 3! How likely is that? Unfortunately, towards the latter stages of the process, he caught an infection and died.

My intensity picks up, as if I'm racing for a cure.
Wait a minute ... I am.

No comments: