Sunday, November 30, 2008

010709

I haven't blogged in awhile ... mostly because I've been having trouble untangling some of my thoughts and feelings ... withdrawals from not riding ... apprehension about upcoming surgery ... concern regarding the cost of said surgery, among other things.

Here's what I've got coming up : Block Bone Graft from Right Hip to Anterior Upper Jaw. This is the notation on the consent forms I received at my pre-op appointment yesterday. This is what I found out ..

  • Nothing to eat 6 hours before surgery, which will take 2.5 to 3 hours.
  • A 3 inch x 2 inch block of bone from my hip will be cut into "struts" and placed in my upper jaw.
  • Liquid/blended diet for 1-2 weeks.
  • No dentures for 1-2 weeks to allow gum tissue to heal.
  • Limited walking for 2 weeks to allow hip bone to heal.
  • Limited physical activity for 6-8 weeks.
  • 3-6 months before bones heal to normal strength.

  • No comments: