Friday, October 10, 2008

Quietus

Jesus posed this question to his disciples, "Who do you say I am?"

This week, I've been with a friend whose husband passed away at the age of 57. We sat together in the hospital room during his last days where I witnessed the tender moments of a wife saying farewell to her love of 33 years. I had to divert my attention at times, feeling as though I were eavesdropping on her most intimate thoughts. We went to the mortuary the following day where vital stats were transcribed onto forms and items were selected for her husband's interment. And just yesterday, I caught glimpses of his life and personality as our Pastor conversed with her in preparing for his memorial service.

What one word describes him best?
What were his hobbies and passions?
What were his pet peeves or quirks?
What was the funniest thing he ever said?
What were your last moments with him like?
How did he influence others to be a better person?
What did he teach you about God?
When you see his picture, what will you remember most?
Is there a particular scripture that was his favorite?
What do you want people to walk away with when the memorial service is over?


Needless to say, it's been a heavy week. But more than contemplating my own mortality, it's caused me to take a long, thoughtful look at my life and how I'm living it today. How would someone answer those questions of me? Who would they say I am?

In John 10:30, Jesus said, "I and the Father are one." And in John 14:9, he said, "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father." As a follower of Christ, can I say the same thing? Is my life a reflection of Christ's? Does my life point to God the Father?

This is my ultimate life challenge.

No comments: